Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

adetri
#1 Posted : 16 April 2012 17:27:36(UTC)
adetri

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

Ok - some might think it is a bit soft, but I hate the cold turbulance that blows back into convertibles (back of the neck and head), so on my MK3 I replaced the standard tiny wind deflecter with the official Mazda Mesh Wind Deflector.  

It's much improved, apart from a stream of cold wind blowing back which seems to catch the top inch or so of my head!  I'm 5' 11'' - so I guess if I was 5' 9" I'd be OK!  So apart from radical surgery my other option is too look at the Mazda clear deflector instead - in pics on MX5 Parts it as it looks a little bit taller than the Mesh version....

Anyone with any experience of the official Mazda Clear Wind Deflector for the MK3? 

Cheers!  

Mk3 1.8 Coupe Option Pack - Standard apart from Mazda Mesh Wind-blocker and now the Eibach Pro Kit
2LINCSDOBS
#2 Posted : 17 April 2012 08:14:13(UTC)
2LINCSDOBS

Groups: OCMember, Registered

We have recently purchased our 6th MX5 and our first tintop (Venture Edition 2 litre). After 2 Mk3's and a Mk3.5 softtops we have found the tintop much draftier with the top down. We believe the design of the rear deck sweeps the wind round the back of the seats. The little standard deflector is different to the softtop obviously recognising the problem. Anyway to answer the question - we had the Mazda lexan clear deflector fitted and whilst it is better does not solve the problem and certainly in my opinion not worth what Mazda charge to have it fitted. I believe a similar one is available from another MX5 parts supplier at a much reduced price so might be worth investigating. The standard one is not recommended for an amateur mechanic to fit due to what has to be removed and modified before refitting. Another downside is that the lexan plastic scratches very easily, my dealers had to replace mine foc as the first was scratched during fitting, Did ask my local glass supplier if they could do one but the holes are too near the edge for a glass one to be made. Hope this waffle helps.

Bekatee
#3 Posted : 17 April 2012 19:58:15(UTC)
Bekatee

I have just bought a coupe too and find it quite breezy with the roof down (i have long hair and never needed to tie it back when driving my previous convertible) It's especially drafty down the motorway, even with both windows AND the standard fitted deflector up, so i too would be interested in an alternative if anyone knows of any suitable solutions?!! Smile

New owner of a Mk1 Eunos... drift car toy in progress
Owner of a Mk3.5 Mazda MX5 2.0i Sport Tech Coupe. Currently enjoying getting to know my 5 :)

Ex owner of a Mk3 2002 Toyota MR2. Will always have its little place in my heart :)
harco
#4 Posted : 18 April 2012 16:40:05(UTC)
harco

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)

I have the same mesh wind deflector now fitted to my MK3 Roadster coupe and find it a much better area to be in now, considering I am 6'3 and it was mighty windy up here till now!

Putting my carbon foot down !

Copper Red (and black!) MK3 RC
Silver MK1 1.6 Eunos
Bekatee
#5 Posted : 19 April 2012 13:01:32(UTC)
Bekatee

That's great Harco. May have to save a few pennies up to stop my 5 from re-styling my hair on sunny days Stick Tongue Out

New owner of a Mk1 Eunos... drift car toy in progress
Owner of a Mk3.5 Mazda MX5 2.0i Sport Tech Coupe. Currently enjoying getting to know my 5 :)

Ex owner of a Mk3 2002 Toyota MR2. Will always have its little place in my heart :)
Llyr24
#6 Posted : 29 July 2012 12:04:16(UTC)
Llyr24

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I have had the genuine Mazda clear deflector supplied and fitted by MX5Parts. In my view it's a great improvement on the original factory fit.

Mazda MX-5 NC 2.0i (Options pack) - Copper Red Mica - Manual